A band called the Hill Billies circa 1935
m***@gmail.com
2014-09-11 17:40:26 UTC
Hello all. Do you have any information about Frank Wilson from the Hillbillies? Frank is my Great Grandfather. His daughter, my grandmother, never knew him after about 8 years old and has always wondered what happened to him and where he traveled in his career.

Google searching has not pulled up too much. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
t***@bluetone.demon.co.uk
2014-10-11 10:42:40 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Hello all. Do you have any information about Frank Wilson from the Hillbillies? Frank is my Great Grandfather. His daughter, my grandmother, never knew him after about 8 years old and has always wondered what happened to him and where he traveled in his career.
Google searching has not pulled up too much. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
Please get in touch -- I have written about Frank Wilson. Are you Dot's granddaughter?
Tony Russell <***@bluetone.demon.co.uk>
t***@bluetone.demon.co.uk
2014-10-11 10:46:23 UTC
Hi all,
listening to Kelvin Henderson's "My Kind Of
Country"on the Beeb he played a track titled "Rag Time Cowboy Joe" by
a band called the Hill-Billies , this track was recorded around 1935
approximately, he thinks. Kelvin knew nothing of their background and
requested information if possible, so there you are folks, over to
you.
All info gratefully received
All the replies about Al Hopkins's group are irrelevant. The Hill Billies you heard are almost certainly the English-based group of that name who recorded prolifically for the Regal-Zonophone label during the '30s. They were professional musicians who formed a hillbilly act to cash in on the popularity of Carson Robison's Pioneers and other US bands that had been heard in the UK on records and/or radio.
TR