Unreleased LoC recordings and others
a***@yahoo.se
2011-07-18 12:29:18 UTC
Hi, I'm searching for LoC recordings that not seem to have been
released anywhere that I know of. I saw that it exists fiddle and
banjo records of William 'Mose' Coffman, Hammons, Bogtrotters String
Band (Wade Ward) banjo numbers by Fred Cockerham.

Bascom Lamar Lunsford (Presidents Assassination songs, Booth (rec.
1935) and others.

Of course there is many more artists and collections, but I start my
question here with if anyone on this newsgroup that knows where I can
find one or two of these artists that I've mentioned, and any
recordings of these?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Robert
munichbanjoreinhard
2011-07-18 17:05:04 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.se
Hi, I'm searching for LoC recordings that not seem to have been
released anywhere that I know of. I saw that it exists fiddle and
banjo records of William 'Mose' Coffman, Hammons, Bogtrotters String
Band (Wade Ward) banjo numbers by Fred Cockerham.
Bascom Lamar Lunsford (Presidents Assassination songs, Booth (rec.
1935) and others.
Of course there is many more artists and collections, but I start my
question here with if anyone on this newsgroup that knows where I can
find one or two of these artists that I've mentioned, and any
recordings of these?
Thanks for any help!
Regards,
Robert
Hi Robert,

I have the Bogtrotters and Wade Ward LOC recordings, also some Mose
Coffman. Lunsford and a lot of Fred Cockerham. If you want to get some
download links from me please send me an e-mail
gress[at]badw.de
Best regards,

Reinhard
oldtimemusic collector
Robert Alfredsson
2011-07-19 13:43:34 UTC
Post by munichbanjoreinhard
Post by a***@yahoo.se
[...]
oldtimemusic collector- Dölj citerad text -
- Visa citerad text -
I've sent an email, thanks!
Steve Goldfield
2011-07-25 02:50:14 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.se
[...]
At least some of the Hammons and Mose Coffman recordings were issued
on Rounder
Steve Goldfield
2011-07-25 02:52:14 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.se
Hi, I'm searching for LoC recordings that not seem to have been
released anywhere that I know of. I saw that it exists fiddle and
banjo records of William 'Mose' Coffman, Hammons, Bogtrotters String
Band (Wade Ward) banjo numbers by Fred Cockerham.
Bascom Lamar Lunsford (Presidents Assassination songs, Booth (rec.
1935) and others.
Of course there is many more artists and collections, but I start my
question here with if anyone on this newsgroup that knows where I can
find one or two of these artists that I've mentioned, and any
recordings of these?
Thanks for any help!
Regards,
Robert
At least some of the LOC recordings of Mose Coffman and the Hammons
family were
released on Rounder on LP and CD. I think the collection is called
"Shaking Down the
Acorns." I don't know if it's still available, but it should be easy
to search for.

Steve Goldfield
a***@gmail.com
2013-07-01 17:43:51 UTC
Thanks for the research (a bit late answer here) ,

The Hammons double CD you mentioned was the one I had. It's really good, but it is more or less totally dominated by Burl Hammons (fiddle & banjo) and Maggie Hammons (Parker)(vocals).
Only a few tracks were by Lee, Sherman and Mose.

An Update here : I think Caleb Diller is still selling the 3 other Hammons Legacy CDs (over email , either his adress or through Dwight Diller's own). I ordered earlier this year - but not in original packages - those are out-of-print.

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/ham_leg3.htm "Reviews" - tracklists

(The website Morningstarfolkarts.com at below the reviews isn't in use , see this :

http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/187598

The most interesting would be : A Sampler of the Hammons Legacy (almost everyone has a few tracks including James Hammons.

The other two CDs are the complete Banjo recordings of Maggie Hammons and Lee Hammons.

Note: Field Recorders' Collective,,, Sherman Hammons (2013 CDs) :

The best new release is Wayne Howard's field recordings of , I think it is 39 tracks.

Another note: Across the Yew Pine

There was a project I found in an older newsletter from Dwight Diller (from 2009, I think) :

"Across the Yew Pine, The Hammons Legacy Project" don't know if it is near completion , in that case it will be donated to public libraries and schools in Pocahontas County, WV (from what I could see in the articles I have read

http://www.patchworkfilms.com/bj.htm

Quote from http://www.pocahontastimes.com/column/library-lines?page=11 :

A packed crowd of about 100 people attended Friday evenings event at McClintic Library. Across The Yew Pine: The Hammons Legacy Project is a multimedia presentation of photographs, stories and music of a Pocahontas County family that is known and appreciated in far-flung corners of the world. Dwight Diller, also well known for his own モold timeyヤ traditional banjo and fiddle music, and a close friend of the Hammons beginning in the late 60s, presented the program with personal appreciation and feeling for the family.

BJ Gudmundsson, who is assisting in the media production end, explained that the project when completed will be available in all West Virginia public, school, and academic libraries. Gail Hatton, who is transcribing the oral stories, sang an acappella rendition of a song sung in the style of Maggie Hammons. Dwight Diller on fiddle and his son, Caleb, on banjo, together performed three tunes. A slide show concluded the program with recorded stories, one each by Sherman Hammons, Burl Hammons, Maggie Hammons Parker, and Ruie Hammons. Among the many people in the audience were Hammons descendents