Song: Saving Up Coupons
Merle Barnes
2007-09-02 12:14:07 UTC
Hi there:

I'm looking for a song called "I'm Saving Up Coupons (To Get One Of Those)"
written by J. E. Mainer and Jimmie O'Neal and recorded by J. E. Mainer.
There
is some indication that it was also recorded by a guy named Don Bille. I
have
the lyrics but I need to know how the melody goes. Here are the lyrics:

The different cigar stores are giving away
Hundreds and thousands of coupons each day
You get good things for nothing and you bet your life
You get things good-for-nothing 'cuz I got a wife.

You can shut up a jack knife, you've all heard it said
I'm sorry that I didn't get one instead
Five million coupons is what my wife cost
I'd give ten million more to get a divorce.

I'm saving up coupons to get one of those
Of coupon-eritis I'll die I suppose
But a nice little casket the catalog shows
I'm saving up coupons to get one of those.

My brother got married and right off the reel
He started to save for an automobile
And the day that he got it, from smokin' he died
From his house to the graveyard was his only ride.

His wife then got busy, no time did she lose
Till some lucky boob hopped in poor brother's shoes
And now every evening they both can be seen
As they motor around in poor brother's machine.

I'm saving up coupons to get one of those
When I die my wife marries and riding she goes
I hope when they're in it the darn thing explodes
I'm saving up coupons to get one of those.

My wife got the habit, she's saving a few
She has sevnteen thousand nine hundred and two
She wants a new hat and I don't know what for
To get it she needs only three thousand more.

We'd been married a year in a nice little flat
And all that we have is a dog and a cat
The lady next door is just chuck full of joy
The stork came and left her a new baby boy.

I'm saving up coupons to get one of those
My wife is now making some cute baby clothes
I don't know who told her but somehow she knows
I'm saving up coupons to get one of those.

Take Care
Merle
Joel
2007-09-02 12:54:55 UTC
I'm looking for a song called "I'm Saving Up Coupons (To Get One Of >Those)"
written by J. E. Mainer and Jimmie O'Neal and recorded by J. E. >Mainer.
You might try looking under the name substituting 'Green Stamps' for
'coupons'. As I recall it, that was the name. My memory of the tune is
foggier, but it reminds me of "20/20 Vision (and walking 'round
blind).

Joel Shimberg
Lyle Lofgren
2007-09-02 15:28:55 UTC
Post by Joel
I'm looking for a song called "I'm Saving Up Coupons (To Get One Of >Those)"
written by J. E. Mainer and Jimmie O'Neal and recorded by J. E. >Mainer.
You might try looking under the name substituting 'Green Stamps' for
'coupons'. As I recall it, that was the name. My memory of the tune is
foggier, but it reminds me of "20/20 Vision (and walking 'round
blind).
Joel Shimberg
This is from Meade, Spottswood, Meade "Country Music Sources":

"I'm Saving Up Coupons to Get One of Those," Words by Joe Weston,
Music by Billy James & Abe Wilsky, published 1914.

Peg Moreland 8/12/1929, Vi 40137
Joe Shelton 2/22/35. De 5087 (as "The Coupon Song")
Lew Childre 3/23/36. ARC 6-08-59
Roy Shaffer 6/26/39. Bb 8213 (as "The Coupon Song")
Bill Monroe & Bluegrass Boys 10/2/41. Bb 8893 (as "The Coupon Song").

I've only heard the Shelton recording. I assume the Mainer recording
you mention was made too late to be included in the Meade discography.

Lyle
Joel
2007-09-03 03:21:31 UTC
This is from Meade, Spottswood, Meade "Country Music Sources":....
Lyle
Once more scholarship beats foggy memory! I swear I heard somebody
sing 'Green Stamps', I didn't make it up. On the other hand, Google
returned no hits for my title and a page-and-a-half for your'n's.
Worth checking out for the original poster -- others have asked this
of other lists and newsgroups.

Joel
m***@gmail.com
Joel
Bud
2007-09-03 11:42:33 UTC
Post by Merle Barnes
[...]
From his house to the graveyard was his only ride.
[...]
I've heard a similar song sung to "Sweet Betsy from Pike."

Bud
C Hoover
2007-09-03 14:05:34 UTC
Go to the following line on Amazon. (Bill Monroe version). Scroll
down and you can listen to part of the middle of the song, which I
think will give you just about all you need to get the basic melody.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Bill-Monroe-Brothers/dp/B000002X2K

Charlie Hoover

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:14:07 -0300, "Merle Barnes"
Post by Merle Barnes
[...]
From his house to the graveyard was his only ride.