Davis Unlimited LP discographical info sought
c***@gmail.com
2013-07-11 19:09:40 UTC
Hi,
I know this subject has been tossed around before in various ways, but
can anyone add to the list below? Thanks in advance. LG
DU 33002: Norman Edmonds, Train On The Island
DU 33004: Various Artists Fiddlers of the Tennessee Valley
DU 33005: Bill Lowery, Tennessee Valley Mandolin
DU 33006: Wally Bryson, Country Fiddling with Wally Bryson
DU 33007: J. T. Perkins, Just Fine Fiddling
DU 33008: Bill Lowery, Bald Headed Mandolin Picker
DU 33009: Perry County Music Makers, Sunset Memories
DU 33010: Various Artists, Flattops And Fiddles
DU 33011: Wally Bryson & The Blaylock Brothers, Bluegrass
DU 33012: Bill Mitchell & Red Taylor, High Level Fiddling
DU 33014: Gregory & Davenport, Monticello - Tough Mountain Music
DU 33015: Fiddlin' Doc Roberts, Classic Fiddle Tunes -1927-1933
DU 33016: Bud Meredith, Fiddler's Ridge
DU 33017: J. T. Perkins, Fiddle Favorites Perkins Style
DU 33018: Missouri Corn Dodgers, Old Time String Band Music
DU 33019: Wally Bryson & the Blaylock Brothers, Follow His Footsteps
DU 33020: Robert And Claudene Nobley, Lamplighting Time - Old Time
Songs
DU 33022: Ken Smelser & The Rain-Crow Countryside Band, Traditional
Dance Music
DU 33023: Frazier Moss, All Fiddler!
DU 33024: Perry County Music Makers, Going Back To Tennessee
DU 33025: (?), The Ole Perfesser And His Guitar
DU 33026: Wally Bryson & the Blaylock Brothers, Just Jammin'
DU 33027: Roy Crawford, Alabama fiddling - Crawford style
DU 33028: Gregory & Davenport, Homemade Stuff
DU 33029: Indian Creek Delta Boys, Old Time Music
DU 33030: Vernon Dalhart, Old Time Songs
DU 33031: Ernie Hodges, North Carolina Fiddling
DU 33032: Clayton McMichen, The Traditional Years
DU 33033: Grayson & Whitter, Going Down Lee Highway
DU 33035: Morgans, Music From Morgan Springs
DU 33038: Vernon Solomon, Texas Breakdown
DU 33039: Bud Meredith, Fiddler's Ridge
DU 33041: Sharon Winters, Rose Of Sharon And Other Fiddle Favorites
DU 33042: Indian Creek Delta Boys
DU 33043: Gillian Brothers, Fiddle And Flattop
DU 33044: J. T. Perkins, J. T. - Perkins Style Fiddling
DU 33045: Morningstar Express, Humble Beginnings
DU-TFS-101: Uncle Dave Macon, At Home - His Last Recordings
DU 33025 - Tom Spencer, The Ole Perfessor and his Guitar (1976)
DU 33034 - Tom Spencer, Songs: Silly, Sad and Sentimental (1977)
a***@gmail.com
2013-09-03 20:44:04 UTC
Hi,

I saw it was an old thread, but I add these links regarding the Steve Davis Unlimited Catalogue:

http://www.artscenterofcc.com/spring-fed.html

' Spring Fed Records ' of Arts Center of Cannon County Tennessee (started by both Steve Davis and Charles K. Wolfe , if I'm correct)

Most of the original DU catalogue is reissued here - among those: the Uncle Dave 'at Home 1950' (quote: "with much improved sound" over the Bear Family/ DU- LP and(?) the Uncle Dave Bear Family Box ' CD 8 ' second half or so I reckon. I have both of those , unfortunately my 'CD 8' had some seconds of the tune ' Bully of the Town ' deleted. I used the LP track to replace it.

The original DU LP of " At Home " I haven't seen, the liners should according to the Oth review be longer on the LP than the 2003 CD.

The 1980 PBS " Uncle Dave Program Video - by Sol Korine and Blaine Dunlap

http://vimeo.com/12379911 a Video clip of Kirk McGee from the above Video.

http://www.artscenterofcc.com/Spring-fed/Catalog.html

I think I must also recommend Garry Harrison's first LPs with " Indian Creek Delta Boys - they still sound terrific.

'Old time music' would be no. 1 , vol 2

The 3rd LP ' Late for the Dance ' was on another label:

Prairie Schooner Records (University City, Missouri) year 1978
source:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/late-for-the-dance/oclc/713564517&referer=brief_results

Now there is also the Ray Alden recordings of the band (FRC CD)

- this said I think those 2 first DU LPs was the best for some reason.
------------ quote 1st message