Springfed Records?
SquirrellyD
2006-11-04 00:05:27 UTC
I just noticed some good reissues by this label I've never heard of...

http://www.springfedrecords.com/index.htm
Brad Sondahl
2006-11-04 01:41:55 UTC
Post by SquirrellyD
I just noticed some good reissues by this label I've never heard of...
http://www.springfedrecords.com/index.htm
I got the Uncle Dave CD from them via the Cannon County Hist. Society.
He was gettin' on, fer sure, forgetting a few lyrics. When it was
recorded anyone figured it would be released, but since the recordings
of anyone like Uncle Dave are limited, it does include more comments
than you'd find on the 78's, and a few songs you might not hear elsewhere.

I also got the Sam and Kirk live CD--much better music, better recording
(some by Mike Seeger), fun stage comments. According to Sam's
granddaughter Jane Frost, who manages the McGees' musical legacy, it's a
fairly new release. (and speaking of the McGees, but wandering from
this thread, Folkways Smithsonian is releasing a new McGee 3 CD
set--also according to Jane, who just emailed me, but it's not out on
their website yet).

I heard an LP of the Perry County Music Makers 35 years ago, and wasn't
overwhelmed at the time.

But the Springfed folks look to be serious at keeping the kind of music
we like alive.

Brad Sondahl
--
For my comics, pottery how-to and musical videos, original art, music,
pottery, and literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com
vagabond9
2006-11-04 15:43:35 UTC
Post by SquirrellyD
I just noticed some good reissues by this label I've never heard of...
http://www.springfedrecords.com/index.htm
Evan Hatch and Robie Cogswell are involved with this label -- they had
a booth set up at Uncle
Dave Macon Days contest in Murfreesboro, TN last July (I was one of the
judges, as were Evan H and Pat Gill). It looks like they may reissue
all the Davis Unlimited LP titles eventually, but they also have some
very fine old time music from other sources. I got a couple of the
titles on that trip and enjoy them.I think that they will be regular
players now in the realm of old time music historical material.

best regards,
kerry
s***@gmail.com
2013-11-22 20:58:19 UTC
Post by SquirrellyD
I just noticed some good reissues by this label I've never heard of...
http://www.springfedrecords.com/index.htm
Spring Fed is now back up and in operating shape! Check us out online at:

Listen: springfed.bandcamp.com

Buy: http://bit.ly/19kDnNA

Like! http://on.fb.me/16ERPx2
a***@gmail.com
2013-12-05 11:47:45 UTC
http://www.artscenterofcc.com/Spring-fed/Catalog.html - another useful info link.

The Uncle Dave at Home 'CD' mentioned above in 2006, is the old Davis Unlimited Vinyl ( DU - TFS 101 early 1980s. ) (mostly the same as the later Bear Family LP variant, although it seems that it went through a second remastering in 1987.

The highlights on this CD is to me : Rabbit in the Peapatch (unrelated chorus to his Fruit Jar Drinkers version) , Bully of the Town (), Long John Green, Cotton Eyed Joe and his first song :

'Greenback' - printed as 'Whoa Mule' on the albums. These songs have no forgotten lyrics and were not recorded before.

' Mountain Dew ' ' All Go Hungry Hash House ' is where he forgets some lines, but the first one still has lots of energy and is not anywhere else.
The latter track he has several versions of on the box.

The below old auction of 'TFS 101' LP has a bit more liner notes about folklorist Charles Faulkner Bryan (1911-1955) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUEGRASS-LP-Uncle-Dave-Macon-At-Home-TN-Folklore-Society-DU-TFS-101-/360521880470?nma=true&si=0sS46M4fk%252F7kVqYLSD%252BKC97XffU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The Tune discussion booklet mentioned here is probably the same as in the CD booklet and most is also in the Bear Family box. (CD 8 and book)

A strange note here: Both this 2003 SpringFed CD & 1987 Bear Family LP, has printed John Lomax's anthology 'Smoky Mountain Ballads ' like it were one of the tunes by using the same typesetting in the Tune Discussions.

http://vimeo.com/12379911 - Kirk McGee interview from " Uncle Dave Macon Program " (PBS 1980 documentary by Blaine Dunlap, Sol Korine.

It is a nice video with lots of interviews (Harkreader, Archie Macon, Pete Seeger etc.

some copies may still be left through contacting:

http://www.artscenterofcc.com/Spring-fed/Catalog.html
-or the email in the previous message perhaps.

hopefully it may later be issued through vimeo or youtube in its complete form (1 hour)