Spark Gap Wonder Boys - live concerts?
Neil
2005-03-07 18:14:07 UTC
A friend of mine recently found in his barn a tape of a concert that
The Spark Gap Wonder Boys had done in 1971 in Poughkeepsie, NY. It was,
as they say, "deja vu all over again". I was suprised how good much of
it sounded. He commented "we should really put out a live concert CD
of the SGWB."

That got me to thinking. Some of what's on the tape is not usable, due
to balance problems or egregious clams, but we could get a few good
songs off of it. I have vague recollections of people recording us in
various coffeehouses and college concerts over the years. I have one
other recording done for a radio broadcast on WBAI, but those are the
only ones I'm aware of. So this is a public call for assistance. I'm
looking for leads to people who have live recordings of the Spark Gap
Wonder Boys, or who might know someone who does. (Note that I'm NOT
looking for the Rounder record; I have that.)

I don't know how much interest there would be in this, but for the
moment I'm willing to think of it as a vanity project and perhaps
produce a few hundred. But in order to do that, I need to find some
other recordings. Whatever links you could provide would be
appreciated. Thanks.

---
Neil Rossi
Brad Sondahl
2005-03-08 01:39:00 UTC
I can't help you since I never heard you folks live, but I have the
Rounder LP and occasionally enjoy it, think you did a nice job with it.
Whenever I used to see David Doubilet's underwater photography in
National Geographic I'd think, gee, and he can play old-time music too.
Brad Sondahl
--
For original art, music, pottery, and literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.

tonyg

Neil Rossi
a***@gmail.com
2005-03-08 17:50:28 UTC
Post by Neil
A friend of mine recently found in his barn a tape of a concert that
The Spark Gap Wonder Boys had done in 1971 in Poughkeepsie, NY. It was,
as they say, "deja vu all over again". I was suprised how good much of
it sounded. He commented "we should really put out a live concert CD
of the SGWB."
I never actually found a real copy of it to buy, but the library near
me had a copy. I love their Cluck Old Hen words, and still sing them
(though I left them off of the Piney Creek Weasels CD for copyright
reasons):

Cluck Old Hen, Cluck Six Ten
Dow Jones Average is Down Again
Cluck Old Hen, Cluck Six Nine
Up again by closing time

Andy Alexis
Sacramento, CA.
www.adoptachicken.com
a***@yakimavalleymuseum.org
2013-10-18 17:14:55 UTC
[...]
Can't help much, except to offer support and a promise to buy anything you produce. I've got the old Rounder record and still love it and sing many of the songs (Good Physician and Cluck Old Hen most). I was back in the Poughkeepsie area in the '70s, and the SGWBs were part of my happy memories of youth. Are you all still around ...and playing? Hope so. -Andy G. in WA State