Will Shade and friends in 1930 census
Joseph Scott
2012-03-16 02:21:58 UTC
The 1930 census finds night club musician Willie Shade of Memphis
giving his age as 32 and birth state as TN, his wife Pearl Shade,
listed as a singer for Victor Records, giving her age as 32 and her
birth state as TN, their ages at first marriage both 21, and a Will
Weldon living in the same home, 26 years old and born in MS (and
currently married, and first married at 22, but not living with his
wife). Considering that Bill Broonzy's tall tales included John Estes
being from Texas and kicking the bucket in 1953, and the like, I'd
suggest that we also not take seriously Broonzy's claim that Casey
Bill Weldon (who copyrighted songs under the name William Weldon) was
born in Arkansas in 1909.

Joseph Scott
t***@bluetone.demon.co.uk
2012-05-13 15:52:05 UTC
Post by Joseph Scott
The 1930 census finds night club musician Willie Shade of Memphis
giving his age as 32 and birth state as TN, his wife Pearl Shade,
listed as a singer for Victor Records, giving her age as 32 and her
birth state as TN, their ages at first marriage both 21, and a Will
Weldon living in the same home, 26 years old and born in MS (and
currently married, and first married at 22, but not living with his
wife). Considering that Bill Broonzy's tall tales included John Estes
being from Texas and kicking the bucket in 1953, and the like, I'd
suggest that we also not take seriously Broonzy's claim that Casey
Bill Weldon (who copyrighted songs under the name William Weldon) was
born in Arkansas in 1909.
Joseph Scott
Weldon has been the subject of much discussion lately on a blues
group, and the consensus is that the MJB Will Weldon and Casey Bill
Weldon were different men.
TR