The best A tunes played in standard tuning.
David Lynch
2011-06-08 23:50:34 UTC
Hey fiddlers,

I'm trying to compile a list of some of the best fiddle tunes in the
key of A that are played in standard tuning.

Two of my all-time favorites are Isaac Medler and Yearlings in the
Canebreak.

What are some of your favorites???
Chris
Bill Cheatham, for one.
AZJohnB
2011-06-11 03:48:12 UTC
Do you count tunes in A minor?

Buckley's Sugar in the Gourd
and
Battle of Bull Run
Phil Katz
2011-06-21 00:27:38 UTC
Post by David Lynch
Hey fiddlers,
I'm trying to compile a list of some of the best fiddle tunes in the
key of A that are played in standard tuning.
Two of my all-time favorites are Isaac Medler and Yearlings in the
Canebreak.
What are some of your favorites???
In the North, where I play (Seattle) and my musical rots are (NH and
Western MA)

Reels in Amajor that always light up the dancers:
Big John MacNeill
Mason's Apron
Fireman's Reel (from recordings of Dick Richardson, NH) also called
Freemonts or Freemount's Reel, in pioneer Northwest, also
a relative of Off to California Hornpipe
Robertson's and Hurlock's (both Shetland by Tom Anderson)
St Antoine's
Sandy McIntyre's Trip to Boston (Cape Breton, by John Campbell)
Shirley's Reel (Northumbrian, by Willie Taylor)
Belle Gaspesie
Peter Street (Cape Breton)
Shenandoah Falls
Da Tushkar (Shetland)
Owen's Reel (Randy Miller, NH)
Granny Will Your Dog Bite
The Reconciliation
Trip to Windsor (Cape Breton) too hard for me personally; very effective

Reels in the various A modes
Festival du Voyageurs
(which comes in two versions; the way Marcel Meilleur wrote it, and
the way it got picked up and promulgated in the US, w/o further
"folk process", ie the modification bred true, w/o further
substantial changes)
Bus Stop (by Anita Anderson)
Sackett's Harbor
Mates Reel (Newfoundland, by Rufus Guinchard)
Brenda Stubbert's (Cape Breton, by Jerry Holland)
Sitting Bull (by Andy DeJarlis)
Paddy on a Handcar
Old John Tate (aka Land of Lincoln)
Red Haired Boy
Dinky's too hard for me personally; but very effective

Jigs in Amajor that really do the job
Bob's Own Jig (McQuillen)
Jig in A (Dudley Laufman, chords Greg Boardman)
Handsome Young Maidens
The Yankee Dancers (Frank Ferrel)
Peter Barnes (Frank Ferrel)
Farmer's Jamboree
Irishman's Heart to the Ladies
Murray River (Graham Townsend, I think)
Early in the Year (by Dan Compton out of Portland OR)
Hundred Pipers
Teviot Bridge (Scottish)

Jigs in the A modes
Brisk Young Lads
Cliffs of Mohr
Behind the Bush in the Garden
Paddy in (the) London, also called Mug of Brown Ale
The Gobby-O or Gaubeo aka Jefferson and Liberty
Wellington's Advance
Juniper Jig (Scottish; by Charlie Sherrit)

Marches in Amajor (yes we dance to marches, too)
Roving Sailor ( Taggart mss, 1840's, as played by NH Fiddler's Union)
Meeting of the Waters
On the Danforth (Newfoundland, by Keith Murphy)
Mount Cashel's Brigade
Phil Katz
2011-06-21 20:39:47 UTC
Post by David Lynch
Hey fiddlers,
I'm trying to compile a list of some of the best fiddle tunes in the
key of A that are played in standard tuning.
Two of my all-time favorites are Isaac Medler and Yearlings in the
Canebreak.
What are some of your favorites???
In the North.....

[...]

Marches in Amajor (yes we dance to marches, too, in the North)
Mount Cashel's Brigade
David Lynch
2011-06-25 02:31:16 UTC
Post by Phil Katz
Post by David Lynch
Hey fiddlers,
I'm trying to compile a list of some of the best fiddle tunes in the
key of A that are played in standard tuning.
Two of my all-time favorites are Isaac Medler and Yearlings in the
Canebreak.
What are some of your favorites???
In the North.....
OK, now how about the South? ; )