And by the way, I'm calling in an airstike
Billl Martin
2011-05-20 02:49:25 UTC
Isn't there some way to clean the crap out this newsgroup? I know, I'll pray
to Jeezuz to quit throwing bolts of lightning at innocent folk and start
barbequeing some of these spammers. He'll probably throw bolts of nice
cotton print instead - He's a Democrat after all.

Bill
Steve Goldfield
2011-05-21 05:40:52 UTC
Post by Billl Martin
Isn't there some way to clean the crap out this newsgroup? I know, I'll pray
to Jeezuz to quit throwing bolts of lightning at innocent folk and start
barbequeing some of these spammers. He'll probably throw bolts of nice
cotton print instead - He's a Democrat after all.
Bill
When I created this newsgroup, I had the option of moderating it or
leaving it unmoderated.
At that time, it was very busy and moderating it would have slowed
down the discussions
and been a lot of work for me. So, I made it unmoderated. Now, it
would make sense to
convert it to moderated, but that would also probably be a lot of
work. I'll look into it, though,
and see what's possible.

Steve
Steve Goldfield
2011-05-21 20:56:51 UTC
Post by Steve Goldfield
Post by Billl Martin
Isn't there some way to clean the crap out this newsgroup? I know, I'll pray
to Jeezuz to quit throwing bolts of lightning at innocent folk and start
barbequeing some of these spammers. He'll probably throw bolts of nice
cotton print instead - He's a Democrat after all.
Bill
When I created this newsgroup, I had the option of moderating it or
leaving it unmoderated.
At that time, it was very busy and moderating it would have slowed
down the discussions
and been a lot of work for me. So, I made it unmoderated. Now, it
would make sense to
convert it to moderated, but that would also probably be a lot of
work. I'll look into it, though,
and see what's possible.
Steve
OK, I found out from those who control newsgroups that it is virtually
impossible to switch from unmoderated to moderated. If people feel
strongly, then it seems the best way would be to create a moderated
companion group. That's a lot of work so I would only embark on it
if I hear from a lot of people. Here is the gist of what I was told:

Changing a group from unmoderated to moderated is "strongly
discouraged"
- which, in practice, means "practically impossible."

o There are many News Service Providers who would not make the
change. Some people would see a moderated group, others with different
NSPs would see the moderated version.
o Such changes in the past have cultivated massive resentments.
Leaving the original group intact and creating a companion moderated
group allows group members to have a choice between the two different
kinds of newsgroups on the same topic.
o In all likelihood, the board won't even publish an RFD to change a
group from unmoderated to moderated. A proposal for such a change
should
not be submitted unless the group finds a way to demonstrate virtual
unanimity. We strongly recommend that you instead spend your effort on
learning how to use filters or how to create a moderated companion to
the original group.
Lyle Lofgren
2011-05-23 11:53:35 UTC
Post by Steve Goldfield
Post by Steve Goldfield
Post by Billl Martin
[...]
I don't think there's any less junk on the newsgroup than there ever
was. What's evidently missing is anyone with anything much to say or
ask. I don't know why that is, but I can't see that a moderated
newsgroup would improve that any. A few years ago, I checked this site
a couple of times a day. Most of the posts were interesting, and I
could ignore the few that weren't. Now I only check about once a week,
and there's still nothing there but junk. I don't check any other
USENET groups, so I don't know if it's systemic or if all the OT fans
have become fans of something else.

Lyle