George Hollis
PaulH
2012-01-06 15:18:51 UTC
Does anyone know anything about African American fiddler George
Hollis? I know he was from the southeast (but I'm not sure which
state) and that he was recorded by George Mitchell. The following two
tracks of his are on the George Mitchell Collection:

Them greasy greens #1

Rock and Roll to Milledgeville

His playing is great and I'd love to learn more about him.

Thanks!

Paul
Steven
2012-01-07 11:18:33 UTC
Milledgeville is in Georgia, and I see that those cuts were included
in a
collection of Georgia Blues - so that should at least clarify what
southeast
state.
Paul
j***@mail.com
2012-01-11 18:26:33 UTC
Post by PaulH
Does anyone know anything about African American fiddler George
Hollis?
He was recorded in Talbot County, GA, which is just two counties over
from AL (about four more counties and you get to Milledgeville). He
was in his late 50s when he recorded, according to Mitchell.

Joseph Scott
PaulH
2012-01-14 03:09:53 UTC
Steven & Joseph,