Who was Daddy Claxton?
p***@gmail.com
2016-06-17 03:55:33 UTC
This character is mentioned in the Wabash Cannonball. Claxton was
also, I believe, Roy Acuff's middle name. If anyone can explain this,
please do. Is this a case of persons living or dead being purely
coincidental, or is there any connection not involving precognition?
TIA.
Al
The version of this song I learned as a boy in Oklahoma in the 1950s has "Here's to Daddy Claxton, may his name forever stand / And always be remembered round the courts of Alabam'." This is Roy Acuff's 1938 version, though for all I know he may have sung others.
r***@gmail.com
2018-08-02 00:39:13 UTC
Daddy Claxton was an Alabama farmer at the turn of the century in rural Alabama.Most historical records say that he was Black. The railroads of that time had a monopoly on farmers crops getting to market and many lost their farms. He stole a train to get his crops to market and although tried, was not convicted, the jury was made up of sympathetic farmers from the area.
j***@gmail.com
2018-09-30 14:22:22 UTC
This character is mentioned in the Wabash Cannonball. Claxton was
also, I believe, Roy Acuff's middle name. If anyone can explain this,
please do. Is this a case of persons living or dead being purely
coincidental, or is there any connection not involving precognition?
TIA.
Al
Replying to the LAST comment on the thread, the one that says:
The above is what I learned, too, somewhere in my past. Did you learn it from me? for instance, at https://historynewsnetwork.org/blog/152354 ? If not, then you and I both learned it independently, which is TWO sources, twice as good as one!