Who was Daddy Claxton?
p***@gmail.com
2016-06-17 03:55:33 UTC
This character is mentioned in the Wabash Cannonball. Claxton was
also, I believe, Roy Acuff's middle name. If anyone can explain this,
please do. Is this a case of persons living or dead being purely
coincidental, or is there any connection not involving precognition?
TIA.
Al
The version of this song I learned as a boy in Oklahoma in the 1950s has "Here's to Daddy Claxton, may his name forever stand / And always be remembered round the courts of Alabam'." This is Roy Acuff's 1938 version, though for all I know he may have sung others.
r***@gmail.com
2018-08-02 00:39:13 UTC
Daddy Claxton was an Alabama farmer at the turn of the century in rural Alabama.Most historical records say that he was Black. The railroads of that time had a monopoly on farmers crops getting to market and many lost their farms. He stole a train to get his crops to market and although tried, was not convicted, the jury was made up of sympathetic farmers from the area.