Early unissued set Doc Watson, Ashley
Band53
2014-12-02 21:56:09 UTC
Hi all,

I'm looking for if anyone have heard/seen about a quite large set that never was issued from the archive. I think it may be filed under just ' Doc Watson ' ?

It should be mainly the Stringband he was in then (Howard, Price and hopefully Ashley also, I don't know how far back this collection goes since I'm not on that side of the Atlantic. Just have found webarchive-clues so far.

Thanks in advance!
Judge Sturdy
2015-02-19 22:05:27 UTC
Post by Band53
Hi all,
I'm looking for if anyone have heard/seen about a quite large set that never was issued from the archive. I think it may be filed under just ' Doc Watson ' ?
It should be mainly the Stringband he was in then (Howard, Price and hopefully Ashley also, I don't know how far back this collection goes since I'm not on that side of the Atlantic. Just have found webarchive-clues so far.
Thanks in advance!
Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

http://www.countysales.com/products.php?product=DOC-WATSON-CLAN-%27Milestones-%252d-Legends-of-the-Doc-Watson-Clan%27
Band53
2015-04-06 20:25:42 UTC
Post by Judge Sturdy
Perhaps this is what you're looking for?
http://www.countysales.com/products.php?product=DOC-WATSON-CLAN-%27Milestones-%252d-Legends-of-the-Doc-Watson-Clan%27
Could have been, but the Smithsonian set isn't sold. Thanks for the reply, a pity I have not any working notifier of replies from here.

Anyway, I have that 'Doc Watson Clan - box you mentioned, it has a lot of great recordings not available anywhere.
Steve Goldfield
2015-04-07 02:37:39 UTC
Everything ever issued on Folkways is available from Smithsonian Folkways. That was part of the agreement by which they were given the Folkways material. You can find those here. http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/?query=watson

Steve
Band53
2015-04-08 17:52:13 UTC
Post by Steve Goldfield
Everything ever issued on Folkways is available from Smithsonian Folkways. That was part of the agreement by which they were given the Folkways material. You can find those here. http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/?query=watson
Steve
Thanks Steve, but this 'set' was never issued. I got this information when I read the biography on Doc.
I guess that part of this material were used in the actual CDs they now sell.

(an unrelated note: There is a Radio Special EP by the later New Lost City Ramblers, that the Smithsonian don't have. It has their recording of 'Crazy War' originally by Lulu Belle & Scotty.
So, even some issued stuff isn't available from them.) Both the original version and NLCRs are highly recommended.