2008-04-23 13:14:13 UTC
I'm a lurker on the list and enjoy all of the interesting posts that
come up on here! I know some of you from AFS, my stint at Mars Hill
College and through Blue Ridge Old Time Music Week, or the Appalachian
Studies Association. Howdy friends!
I have been living in eastern KY for the last 5 months, in the Pine
Mountain community of Harlan County. It's here that I have become well
acquainted with the granddaughter of Bev Baker. I've agreed to sniff
around and find some information out about him for her.
She has an old fiddle of his, and I found 4 recordings of Baker on Bev
Baker on Juneberry78s- Flop-Eared Mule, German Waltz, Glory In The
Meetin' House, and Waynesburgh. I have downloaded these and given them
to her, but am highly curious if there is anymore information about
him out there.
Kerry Blech (hi Kerry!) mentioned something about the men that Baker
was known for killing on a post to this list several years ago. Is
there any more information out there about that?
So my questions are:
1) does anyone have any photographs of Bev Baker
2) does anyone have more information about his personal life
3) does anyone have any more recordings of Bev Baker than what I
4) is there any good research out there about Baker? I've searched and
found snippets, but nothing profiling him...
5) anything else that someone should know about him that i've
forgotten to ask?
Thank you so much for reading this and mulling it all over.